Thursday, November 25, 2010
literally digesting the diagnosis
We finally got a call from the Regional Center psychologist last week. Diagnosis: mild autism. Not a big surprise, but at the same time a shock to the system to have this official label attached to our child. We're still digesting the implications. As far as Levi's eligibility for services is concerned, it's out of our hands. The psychologist has gone back to the Regional Center with her diagnosis and recommendation of services. Now Levi's file has to make it's way through the bureaucracy and we'll hear back from the RC when we hear back. In the meantime, I've acquired a growing stack of books that I hope will help Levi and us overcome his challenges. One of the things we're diving right into is a gluten-free casein-free diet. Please chime in if you have any experience with GFCF. In the meantime, I'll be in the kitchen trying to make some wheat and dairy free food that Levi will want to eat. I didn't know it until this last week that GI issues are very common with autistic kids. Yet one more area where Levi falls in line quite nicely with the autistic profile. Not sure how the GFCF diet will help with his behavioral challenges, but I sure hope to find a solution to his chronic diarrhea. Sorry if that's too much info.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Happy Thanksgiving! It's always good to have a formal diagnosis. It was also a shocker and adjustment for us initially too even though we just knew what it would be, I think there is some finality to having a diagnosis. Also, it's a starting point, now you know, now you process, now you go forward, that sort of thing. We have not tried going GFCF -for various reasons- but know of another family who does. I think it's one of those things that is very much an individual choice, one that is made for each child/person's case.
Am interested to hear how it goes for you guys. Keep us up to date?
christina
Yeah!?! A diagnosis is a relief, really. Best to all!
You might also try probiotics as you're going GFCF. That helped with Eli's gastro distress.
Jeff & Harriet - I just now read your comment. First of all, it's great to catch up with you on your darling blog.. but second, I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis. Hope things are geting better for you guys. Good luck with everything on the road ahead. YOur kids are ADORABLE!!! Just like
"Jeffriet" Love you guys - Nan
Post a Comment