Wednesday, June 30, 2010

brilliant!

Jeff and I just got back from a child-free week in Dublin and London, and it was as wonderful as it sounds. Over the years we've come to the conclusion that the best way to experience a new place is to spend some time with locals. We were lucky enough to have this opportunity at both stops.

While in Dublin, we met up with an old college roommate of mine, Summer. Although her kitchen was getting demolished during our visit, she managed to find the time to shuttle us to and from the airport, show us around the city center, take us out for a pint of Guinness, and introduce us to new Irish cuisine. Summer's husband, Fionnan, tried to explain some Irish expressions to me. I'm pretty literal-minded and need help with such things. For example, when I asked what "taking the mickey" meant, Fionnan said it was the same thing as "taking the piss." Uh, I'm sure that is sufficient for most people, but I needed it dumbed down further before I finally got it. Anyway, Summer and Fionnan are having their first baby this fall and I'm kicking myself for not getting a photo of her and the bump.

Then we went to London to spend some time with our old pals, Audrey & Lor and their baby, Kina. With Lor's guidance, we hit some of the major attractions--Cabinet War Rooms, Westminster, Tower of London, Victoria & Albert Museum, British Library, a West End show, etc. It's pretty impressive to see Lor deftly maneuver his way through the masses of the Underground with a stroller. The Tube isn't exactly a baby-friendly environment with all those stairs and those people in the way. Howeer, the best part was just hanging with da homies. A&L have quite a comfy setup off of Portobello Rd in Notting Hill. We ate yummy food, took turns holding the chubby baby, watched some TV, and spent a lot of time goofing off. We ended the trip on a high note when Jeff and Audrey decided to practice spit takes outside in the garden. Jeff loves it when he sees scenes in movies or shows where actors spit out their drinks when the conversation takes a sudden shocking turn. (Puke scenes are a close second.) Obviously Audrey now has a new appreciation for them too!

In the meantime, the kids and dog spent the week with Grandma & Grandpa Hayes in St. George. They also had a chance to see their aunts, uncles, cousins, and great grandma in Salt Lake. The first morning home, both kids came to our room independently and announced that they missed Grandma, so I figure they must have had as much fun as we did.

The kids left to their own devices while I was packing prior to the trip. "Look, it's a Levi sandwich!"
"NO!!! It's a Ruby sandwich!" Yet another fight between the kids ensues.
For my old Oracle peeps. Check out what greeted us at the London City Airport on the way to Dublin. More importantly, the impulse to photograph it was totally knee jerk and involuntary even after all these years.
Christ Church in Dublin.
At Trinity College to check out the Book of Kells.
Jeff's delicious plum tart at Queen of Tarts on Dame St. Lor, come to think of it, I think we tried clotted cream after all.
The reward at the end of the Guinness tour. Oh so happy! Scott, you're jealous. So is the Far Side character behind me.
Yeah, that's right! I'm a tourist. You have a problem with that?
Lor and his castle.
Jeff doing the Toyota jump in front of that other castle, or tower, or something.
Partaking of our finds at Borough Market: Thai green curry with chicken and seafood, caribbean chicken curry, basil cashew pesto with crusty baguette, raclette, burnt sugar coconut balls, Iberian ham....
Getting tips on posture from Kina. I love those chubby legs!!
Good times.
Note the fine, even mist. Good technique, Jeff.
Awesome.
On the way to the airport. Sniffle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny, we were in the Amsterdam airport in March and I almost snapped shots of the Oracle signage there too. What is wrong with us?!!

Earl and I still haven't left the kids to take off on our own. Sounds like you had an amazing trip, maybe you'll inspire us to get outta town by ourselves too.

Holly said...

I am so jealous. What else can I say? Seriously, Europe without the kids? I don't know when we'll ever have an opportunity like that.