Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Ruby's going green

First things first: here are a few pix of the kids, because that's what you're really here for.

Second: Happy T-Day! This is my favorite holiday. I'm such a comfort seeker that I find the good grub and warm fuzzies that this holiday evokes completely irresistable. We are going to start out the day at the SF Auto Show (a long-standing Hayes tradition) and then eat ourselves silly with Jeff's sibs in Oakland in the evening. I'm actually excited to go to the Auto Show. How strange. I'm eager to see what the automakers will be selling in the way of hybrids and the like.

Of all people, I have Ruby to thank for my push to be more green. More specifically, I have to thank her terribly active GI tract. She poos almost more than she eats so she goes through a lot of diapers each day. It also doesn't help that we haven't managed to potty train Levi yet. In any given week, we generate such a large amount of garbage that I can't help but feel embarrassed about it. This embarrassment increased tenfold when I read about the UN's latest report on global warming. So now we've set a few things in motion in an effort to decrease our carbon footprint. Ruby is leading the way by wearing gDiapers. Things are a little messy right now because she's between sizes and I'm still trying to get the hang of it, but this will mean such a dramatic decrease in the amount of garbage we're sending off to the landfill. These diapers are biodegradeable, and you can either flush 'em or compost 'em. Sooooo cooooool! Speaking of composting, that's the next thing we're going to try. Any day now, the County of San Mateo is supposed to deliver our compost bin for yard waste (and wet gDiapers!) and worm bin for food scraps.

Stay tuned because you can definitely expect a blog post regarding the worm bin and Levi's new creepy crawly pets.

No comments: